18 November 2010

February 28, 2009...

...was the first time I ever wrote a blog.  It still exists on the Interwebs, but I have brought it here for you.  I cannot recall what was going on at the time, but I like it, so I am reposting it..for my 120 Facebook friends to read and my 17 followers to read...


"Since we were kids, we have been asked and expected to set goals. Since we were kids, we have had goals set for us. The most basic and common example is, "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

It seems that this question is usually related to an occupation. When I was young, I always thought I wanted to be a professional athlete. A general lack of natural size and ability has hinder that pipe dream. What drew me to that occupation? Well, I always thought there could be nothing better. You play a game for a living.

Even now, people ask what where I see my career going. They are still asking me what I want to be when I grow up. I still don't know that answer. But, I do know one thing. Under no circumstances does what I am professionally define what I am when I grow up.

What do I want to be when I grow up?

I want to be honest regardless of the situation.
I want to be a good friend.
I want to help Katie be what she wants to be when she grows up.
I want to be me no matter who is standing next to me.

BUT, I also realize that these things are easy for me to say, because I have a job. I have a career path, even if I don't know exactly what it is. Since I don't have to worry about money right now, I can focus on what I want to be, in non-monetary terms. It's like Kanye says, "Havin money isn't everything, not having it is."

Since everything is what you make it, life is a matter of your perspective. Sure, you could have more. But, you could have less. Your life could be much better. But, it could be much worse. I wish everyone could keep that in mind when they complain about not getting paid enough, when they complain about the neighbor's dog barking, when they complain about how shitty their lives are.

Your life is not shitty. Your perspective on your life is shitty. If a person changes that perspective, even if everything looks the same from the outside, that person's life is different."

2 comments:

  1. Really great post, you have an awesome view on life. I wish more people did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite insightful. I was reading another blog and thought of your musings. Mazda Ninja meet Worst Blog Ever. A few favorites were Dumbsizing America, Thundermuffin, and Purple Heart. http://www.joelperks.com/?p=17

    ReplyDelete