26 December 2009

I support disease, cancer, and crazy.

Place: Pat's house.
Time: 6:30-7ish pm, December 25, 2009.
Players: Tom, Katie, Eli, Jill

Event: We were watching the Chargers hammer the Titans, me making wise cracks about the Chargers letting Chris Johnson set the single season rushing record by not tackling him, Jill and Katie rolling their eyes, and Eli (Charger honk) getting used to my well-oiled shit talking machine.

We started talking about types of racism and discrimination that is present today.  Someone's grandma referring to "the blacks" at Christmas dinner.  Someone using a blanket statement to describe Muslims or Mormons.  You know, the whole "all Muslims are terrorists and all Mormons practice polygamy..." type of statements.  My take on it is every group has outliers that don't represent the values of the majority of population of the group.  Every group has come crazy ones.  And I don't mean the cute crazy...like me wearing every thing I own that has a Browns logo and dressing the dog up in hopes of that helping the team win. 

I mean real irrational craziness.

Which led to my new way of explaining this:  Crazy doesn't discriminate.  It's true.  Crazy doesn't racially profile people, it will take anybody.  White, black, brown, you name the color, nationality, religion, age, wealth and there is a few crazys in each group. 

A local example, on the campus of Boise State University about two weeks ago, fliers were found that were racist and basically horrible.  Does that paint an accurate picture of what Boise State and its students stand for?  I don't believe so, but there are some crazy ones.

Anyway, cancer and disease don't discriminate, either...they will be more than happy to kill anyone...okay breast and testicular cancer are a little more choosy, but cancer in general is not...so in this way...

We should all try to be a little more like cancer, disease, and crazy. 

I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment