18 July 2010

Nosebleed Section

Since I've come into my own as a beacon of financial responsibility and sound decision making, I've thought that the equation was simple: $ earned - $ spent >0.  And for the mathematically challenged, the words version of that is spend less than you make.  It's pretty simple.  That, plus "If you can't pay cash for it, don't buy it." has lead to Katie and I's moderate financial security.  Now I realize that just like all of the great economic models and theories, I have assumed away the human element.

You know, the element that says, "Well, I can't really afford a new TV, but Best Buy has 0% financing for the first year and I will pay it off before than and the dude next door just got one".  And don't forget the human element that says, "The bank preapproved me for a $600K loan, and even though I can't afford a $3,500 monthly mortgage payment, the bank is smarter than me, and has no incentive to sell me a mortgage that isn't in my best interest, I am going to buy this bastard." (And I'm not sure sure whether it is more the bank's fault or the person's fault, so I will say that both parties were irresponsible, greedy, and disappointing.)  And finally, the human element that says, "I got a bloody nose, it has been bleeding for over an hour, blood is coming out of my tear ducts, I shuld probably go to the emergency room."  I've heard that medical expenses are the #1 cause of bankruptcies, but I had never personally been raped by tha fact until May 24, 2010.

What started out as a simple sprinkler system repair, turned out to be an activity that proves that ninjas DO get bloody noses.  As I wrestled with PVC snakes hidden in a filthy plastic lined hole in my front yard, my nose started to bleed.  A few hours later, I was in the hosptial, watching Game 5 of the Celtics/Magic series, having crazy inflatable tampon deals shoved in my nostril to remain there for two days.  I am all for having reasons to not go to work, but staying home for two days because I have a tampon in my nose is a little ridiculous.  I knew going to the emergency room was going to be expensive, so as I recovered, I dreaded getting that bill in the mail.  Examine Exhibit A...the bill for stopping my bloody nose.
$865?!?  As written on a check, eight hundred sixty five and xx/100 dollars.  The craziest part is when I tell most people about this, they are not even shocked.  "Sounds about right" is the most common response.  Well, I beg to differ good sir, that does not sound about right.  It sounds about absurd.  Like myself, I'm sure you are wondering what could possibly cost that much, so please see Exhibit B, the less than satisfying breakdown of charges.
Emergency room....$529
Professional services...$336...Now, if I am paying $336 for professional services, I better be getting a new transmission or a Z job.  (If you have to ask, you can't afford it).  Thank goodness I have health insurance to pay for this calamity.  As inevitable as it seems that this blog will end up having a political agenda, that isn't really my intent.  True, I do think that the healthcare system seems to have something wrong with it, but I don't really have a solution, and until I do, I will keep my mouth shut on that one. 

This is more about me learning first hand how expensive medical bills can be.  Seriously, if a bloody nose costs a grand (Taking the huge, terrible, inflatable tampon monster out of my nose was an additional $60 and my appointment at the ear, nose, and throat doctor was another who knows how much), how much does a pregnancy cost?  How much does a single car rollover on the freeway cost when the driver has to be Med Evac'ed to the hospital cost?  How does someone pay for that without health insurance?  For me, one of the things that I have always considered simple is knowing how to manage your own money.  Spend less than you make.  Simple.  But it isn't that simple.  So, when I hear about bankruptcies, "Dumbass" is no longer my first thought.  That person may very well be a dumbass, but unless I know that person's story, I will never know if they are bankrupt and losing their house because they had to have a new TV, clothes, and Tahoe, or if they just had a terrible string of health insurance-less nosebleeds.

Tom out.

2 comments:

  1. God, that's... kind of depressing. You reminded me of how I'm a type 1 diabetic and lost my free insurance at the end of May because I turned 19, and now I have no insurance, no job, and come from a relatively poor family (no extra money). So I have to pay for my medications with financial aid money that was left over after paying tuition, and I can't visit the doctor and get my blood tests like I'm supposed to every couple months. :/

    But I'm not here to bring you down, and I should probably comment a bit about your life. XD

    Why were you in the hospital for a bloody nose? I'm assuming it was, I dunno... a serious one? I've never had a bloody nose, so I don't know the levels of horror they can contain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carissa,

    Thanks for reading! Yeah...I refused to go to the hospital until the blood started coming out of my tear ducts. At that point, I figured that I wasn't dealing with a day-to-day average bloody noses.

    Cheers. Tom

    ReplyDelete